12.24.2008

Mary and Mary

There are 2 Mary's in the Bible that I am greatly encouraged by in which I would like to post about both. The first Mary I want to talk about is:
Mary Mother of Jesus-
What an amazing Woman of God!!! I think Mary is amazing!
Allegedly Mary was 14 when the angel of the Lord came to her and told her she would conceive and give birth to a Son and name Him Jesus. I love what the angel told her when he first came to her, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." Luke 1:28 We can all be highly favored in the Lord which is what makes it amazing. But let's go back to Luke 1:28..
vs 29 says that Mary was "greatly troubled at the greeting this angel has brought to her." Why? Was my first thought. The answer would be is Mary didn't believe it. I don't think she was very confident. So she was troubled as to why the God of Heavens and Earth would consider her highly favored. But she was~!! But can you imagine how Mary must have felt? Knowing that she was having God's Son? I'm sure she was extremely happy, until she went to Joseph and he didn't believe her. And then her parents didn't. But she was still willing to the Lord and His plan. She told the angel in Luke 1:38, "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." She was willing. No questions, no anger, no anything. Just her following the Lord's plan not knowing where it could lead her. Since it's Christmas eve I thought this Mary was especially appropriate. Let's take a little bit of Mary's attitude to ours. Instead of questioning God, just say, "I am willing."

Now the other Mary would be..
Mary Magdalene
We hear of her in Luke 8:2 where Jesus heals her of the demons inside her. You can imagine she was very grateful and didn't know how to repay Him for all He's did for her. So she decided to be His devoted follower. Luke 8:1-3 says that Mary Magdalene along with many other women helped support Jesus' ministry. Probably one of the most amazing things she did was when she poured perfume on Jesus' feet and wiped them with her hair, I think that is really incredible too!! A very beautiful sight to think of. She took very expensive perfume (The Bible tells us) and poured it on Jesus' feet. Then after she did that she wiped His feet with her hair. Now Judas didn't like it, I think he was jealous. He was talking about how she should have sold the perfume and given it to the poor. In which Jesus replied, "Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "It was intended, that she should save this perfume... you will always have the perfume among you but you will not always have Me." John 12:7-8 A lesson that we can take from her is to devote ourselves to God to the very best of our abilities!

Well I hope this has blessed someone! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)