9.27.2009

Bitterness and Anger Imprison Life

"Bitterness imprisons life; love releases it." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

That quote was in my Bible study this morning. I'm taking time to think about it. I know that quote to be so true. Anger always leads to bitterness when we hold on to it. It's not like the regular "oh, I had a fight with so and so but we're gonna make up later" kind of anger. It's the kind of anger that you get when someone hurts you very deeply and you aren't sure if you can forgive them or not and so instead of forgiving them you hold on to it until it burns within you and you get more angry every day.

I've known that anger. It was such a burden for me and had I known Jesus loves me then, as I do now I probably wouldn't have held onto my anger like that... and then again I might have. More than likely though, I would have let it go and let the Lord deal with my heart and anger as He can. Anger starts out pretty innocent (about as innocent as anger can be) and then over time it boils inside of you and consumes your whole life. Then, it leads straight to bitterness. And as Mr. Fosdick said, bitterness will imprison your life to the point you won't be able to do anything productive until you let it go. Maybe not for you, but for me my life was completely a waste during that period of time.

If you are holding onto anger I challenge you to lay it all before God and allow Him to deal with your heart completely raw. Write out a letter to the person that you are angry with, let them know all the things that hurt you and how angry you still are with that person. And then go outside somewhere or to your fireplace (make sure you have permission to do this, if you need it.) and burn the letter. It may sound lame but it will feel very good to your heart to just let it all go. And it will make the Lord really proud of you.

I also read this quote this morning,
"A man is a hero, not because he is braver than anyone else, but because he is brave for ten minutes longer." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm still thinking on this one. I really love that quote though. I hope you all are having a great day!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)