2.14.2010

Are You Listening?

Blah blah blah blah blah....

That's me talking.. all the time.. never stopping. Yes, I have a serious problem with talking a lot. Talking isn't a bad thing of course. Obviously God gave us voices for a reason, but sometimes talking too much is worse than never talking at all.

God works in mysterious (sometimes hilarious) ways. Today while I was spending time with Him I found that my Bible study, a couple verses, and a devotional all were about listening. I thought hmm, is this what You want me to do right now? Wasn't long before I knew the answer - "Yes." 

I have been thinking back and I can't remember the last time I just sat quietly in the presence of the Lord and let Him speak to me. Honestly that makes me feel horrible. I mean, I talk to Him all the time... why have I never taken the time out to listen? Too busy? Didn't care? Didn't want to? I don't really know, but what I do know is that I want to hear God's voice and I want to know His heart. I want to hear what He has to speak to me and what His desires are for me. I can't do any of that if I am always talking. Life is too short to spend it talking all the time. I've always heard that a good friend knows when to talk and when to listen. John 15:15 says that Jesus calls us friends, so why have I not been one to Him? It is a two way relationship but it seems I've been pretty one way recently.

Isn't it weird how we don't think of our relationship with Christ as an actual relationship? Maybe you do, but I have found myself not treating it like a deep, lasting, relationship. People say not to question God. I understand that to a certain extent, but if you read the Psalms and parts of Job you see that they ask God questions. I think the reason some people tell us not to ask questions to the Lord is because they feel that we will reject God. Actually the exact opposite happens, when we question God it draws us nearer to Him because He is the only One who has all the answers to our questions. In one form or another you will get your answers, sometimes it just takes time. I'm not saying treat your relationship with God like you would a casual friend, what I'm saying is treat your relationship with God as a relationship not a distant God who doesn't want to be bothered with our pesky questions because it doesn't bother the Lord. He loves us and is willing to listen to our questions.

Which all brings us back to listening. Listening to the Lord is vital for our relationship with Him. It is what it's all about and that is following His will. And how are you going to know His for you, unless you listen to Him? I guess you won't. I certainly don't want to miss out on His will for my life and the opportunities He has for me simply because I refused to listen. My prayer for you is that you begin to hear the Lord's voice and listen to it and for it throughout your life. Take some time this week and dedicate whatever you can to listening to Him. I will be doing the same. Love y'all!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking over your blog
    Great blog title
    God Bless you
    http://ronjoewhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on my blog
    I added myself to follow your blog
    The next time you visit mine you are more than welcome to become a follower.

    God bless you, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were discussing this yesterday in the Bible study that I lead on Sunday mornings at the church where I attend. Another important aspect of listening to God speak to us is going to that quiet place where we are not distracted by TV, kids, telephones, or whatever is is that draws us away from our times of meditation, contemplation, study, and talking to God. Remember how often Jesus went away from the crowds and busyness that surrounded Him to be alone in prayer.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to remember sometimes that God gave us two ears and only one mouth. It seems He wants us to listen to twice as much as what we say.

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)