2.15.2010

Be Your Best - Part 1

This is part 1 of two that I will be doing on the topic: Being Your Best. Part 1 consists of the idea of being our best. I will write part 2 tomorrow and it will consist on how to be your best.

My goal for this week is to be my best. I want to be my best, do my best, and be the best me that I can be. Sometimes when I'm praying I tell the Lord, "I did my best and that's all I can do." But the truth is, I didn't do my best, truth really being that I didn't even try to do my best. That's what's so sad is our society has taught us that if it isn't easy, then we just shouldn't do it. If we have to try just a little bit harder than we actually want to we're told to let it go, no big deal... right?

Nope, wrong. Everything today is for our convenience and we don't try anymore because honestly we feel as though we have no need to try. When everything is at your fingertips it's pretty difficult to push yourself. It's pretty difficult to stand above the rest and push yourself to do better and be better when it seems everyone and everything is ready for us right then and right now. We need to break the mold of allowing the things around us to be so easy. We CAN be better. It will take work- which is something a lot of people don't want to hear and don't want to know- but we have to be willing to push ourselves. I mean, everything around of us is readily available for whatever we want to do so that is common, but to be uncommon would mean to try and better ourselves and push ourselves and to keep searching for that "extra mile" that we can go.

I ask myself this question, do I want to be common or uncommon? I want to be uncommon. I don't want to be like everybody else. I know God created me for more. I know He has higher standards for me. He has the same for you. Now I ask you, do you want to be common or uncommon?  This is a question only you can answer because you might now want to put in the work being uncommon will take. It's not just something that comes naturally or easy, it takes a lot. I hope you know your potential, because you have so much potential. God did not just stick you on this earth so you can under-achieve. God has given you many talents and abilities and it is for His glory that He has given them to you. You have to choose whether or not you want to use them for His glory and reach your potential or if just want to stroll through life and miss out on a lot.

Right now as many of you know, the Olympics are going on. Everyday there are different people competing in different events. They want to do their very best. It takes work. They know this. The other night I was watching an interview with Apolo Ohno, he was talking about how at the end of the day he always asks himself, did I do my best today? He said, "It's really hard to say yes to that every single day. But I try." He does four 2 hour workouts every day. That's is a LOT of work. He would say it is worth it because it helps him to be his best. Would you say the work you put in is your best? If it is, would you say the work you put in is worth it? It is very much so. God is worth everything. I think once you realize that without Him you wouldn't have anything you do, you realize that your life is only a tiny piece of the big picture (Eternity with Him).

I want to be my best. I want to get to the gates of Heaven and tell the Lord, "Yes, I did everything I could for You. I did my very best." I want to hear Him say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." That is what I truly want and if I have to work my butt off, then I will. I challenge you this week to just try- and I mean really try - to do your very best. You might find that you like pushing yourself to do better and you might find that the people around you benefit from it. It won't be easy and chances are you will fail but at least you tried. I feel much better knowing that I gave the Lord my best. All that I have to give is His. Feel free to share your thoughts. :) Blessings to you all!!

3 comments:

  1. really great point! I think I def find it way too easy to put things off and be lazy simply because I feel that I can still get by with a half-way effort. Always good to be reminded that God doesn't call us to be ordinary, he calls us to be extraordinary and to do things greater than ourselves thru him... I'll def join you on the challenge this week of making sure to put forth my best effort each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the challenge...I have to remind myself to examine my motives both when I'm lazy and when I'm striving. Thank you for sharing yourself with the world! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's sorta of what i've been realizing lately, i have to try to be my best, it's not going to be easy, but I want to be able to say I tried. i love you girl! you are amazing, and i stinkin' miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)