8.06.2011

Check It: Prayer/Heart

Once a month or every other month I'm gonna try to post something called 'Check It' and there will be a different topic each time on something that you need to (yep you got it) check. :) So this month I'm going to share some thoughts the Lord has given me on prayer or more like problems we have in praying for others and that its the heart behind it that really has the issues. Hope you enjoy.

The other day I was in my room getting ready to say a quick prayer for someone and then this thought came to me, what if people prayed for me the way I pray for them? As soon as it came I knew that was from God. How convicting is that?! How would you feel if someone prayed the same heartless, "let's get this over with" attitude, type prayers? More than that, if your heart isn't in it why do you even pray?

Sometimes I really want to pray for people, I want to see the hand of God moving in their lives and I know prayer is a great way to do that. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8 Obviously that's proof right there that when we ask God to do something He will (if it's in accordance with His will and plan for life, do remember that), but I can't help but think that the heart behind the prayer matters a lot too. If we pray selfish prayers or half-hearted prayers.. well why should God even answer those? Isn't it enough that He's told us whatever we ask in His name will be given to us? Can't we have a pure heart and ask for those things rightly?

Have you ever gotten on your face and cried out for someone to be healed? Have you ever wanted someone to get saved so bad that you went without meals so that you could dedicate that time to praying for them? No? Yes? Maybe..? If you haven't, I think that shows your heart. I'm not condemning (please don't think that), I'm right there with ya'. Too many times I have claimed that I care for someone, yet I wouldn't sacrifice a thing for them. Nothing. (John 15:13) So then I'm lead to take a long look at myself. Have I allowed God to transform my heart so much so that my love for other people, is the love that He has for them? Or am I still the same selfish person I was before I met Him? Woo... just talking about it convicts me.

What I'm doing is asking. I'm asking God to help me pray prayers that are heartfelt and I'm asking God to help me love people with the same kind of love He loves me with. I want Him to change my heart and make me like Him. That is my heartfelt prayer. What is yours?

"If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear them from Heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

1 comment:

  1. My prayer is often that of thanksgiving and praying for my own needs and the needs of others.

    Rather than tell someone I'll pray for them, I usually tell them I'm doing it right that minute, and then do it, or pray with them.

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)