11.21.2011

Mismatched...

So the other day I wrote this, and asked people to give me questions about something that isn't talked about too often and what they want to know.

Well, Clare wanted to know why it's so wrong to date or go out with unbelievers. Good question because it's really not addressed. We're just told not to do it and sometimes... let's be real, "don't do it." why? "because I said so." doesn't cut it.

So, first we must ALWAYS go to God's Word and see what He has told us about whatever it may be and here is a verse in 2 Corinthians that talks about being "unequally yoked" or "mismatched"...

"Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

That's pretty simple. You don't mix light and darkness. Righteousness and lawlessness. Very true. But what if you want to go a little deeper?

Why?

Why don't we mix light and darkness? Why don't we mix righteousness and lawlessness?

Thankfully ("Give thanks in all circumstances for this God's will for you in Christ Jesus.") I've been in a similar situation where I was "mismatched" with.. someone who wasn't a true follower of Christ. Side note: y'all, just because they claim the name of Christ does not mean they are a Christian. Watch out.

So I was with someone for a little bit.. not very long and we had fun and stuff together, but somehow.. the person I started out being, and the person I was becoming while with them was not good for me.

After just a couple months, I was doing downright wrong things and letting this person become my 'god' (my fault, not theirs). Pretty soon my relationship with the Lord was all but gone. The only time I talked to Him was at night when I was going to sleep. That was it. I left Him and everyone else way back behind me while I pressed forward on a path that lead to death.

We as women, (if you're a guy... tune out for a sec ;), want to help everybody. We want to change everybody. Yet we all have to go through the process of learning that the only One who can change anyone is God the Father. No one else. No matter how hard you try, it just won't work.

That has been my problem for a while. I want to get with someone and help change them and the process of doing so, I just fall with them.

Did you catch that? Why do we not mix light and darkness? Because no matter how strong you are, you can't help but get drug down with someone who is not following the Lord. Our flesh is weak and while we can do all things through Christ, we must remember that when you spend a lot of time with someone who doesn't follow Him, our thoughts will be invaded by satan and his deceptiveness and we'll begin to think in a different, wrong way.

Our purpose in life is to know Christ and make Him known. You can make Him known without dating someone who doesn't know Him (yeah that hurts to hear, but it's the truth). Don't compromise who you are in Christ, just to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't know the Lord. Hope this clears up a bit of the confusion you might have had. God bless y'all!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Got a little excited when i saw my name then!haha, this post is amazing by the way, yours always are inspriring to me! thank'you, this helped... ALOT! your so honest and helpful! Thankyou! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I would've been excited too! :) Well thank you. It's all Jesus, I'm just His mouth piece. :)I'm glad it helped! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I know its the gospel and it's totally truth from the Word but the reminder this post gives me(and what I need to hear daily) is that I am not God. I can't save/change people's hearts. I catch myself all the time trying to be someone's "Savior" and thinking is depends on me but it doesn't. This is probably why I need to preach the gospel to myself daily! One of my favorite Scriptures: 1 Corinthians 3:6-9 "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building."

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittni: Ohh girl me too! You put it a good way, trying to be their "Savior", when only the true Savior can help them and ultimately save them. God bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)