11.17.2011

Oblivion or just not caring?

Why do people think that if they don't talk about something it'll be as if it doesn't happen?

I'm always curious why people think that. Maybe they are just trying to make themselves feel better. It's easy to lie to yourself and eventually believe those lies. Trust me, I know.

The Church's job (at least partially) is to help educate the believers so that they may help others in their exploration(s). Yet, so much of the time the very people in the church do not understand why they do or don't do something because it has never been talked about. People stick their heads in the sand far too often.

For instance, I literally can count on 1 hand the number of times sex has been discussed in the church. For real. Yet we are told to wait until we're married and no one can tell you why because it's an "uncomfortable" subject. Really? Why? We don't find it uncomfortable to talk about the Bible (at least you shouldn't in church) and sex is talked about plainly in the Bible.

I read a story the other day about a woman who got married and both she and her husband were virgins. They had grown up in the church, being told that sex was "bad" and not to do it before you're married (no pun intended) and when they got married... they still considered it bad and it made their marriage suffer. Their marriage suffered so much that they eventually got divorced. Now I sit here wondering how many other marriages have been ended over the same, exact thing.

To clarify, my belief (gathered from things I've read, opinions I've formed, and personal experience) is the reason God tells us not to have sex before we are married is because we awaken desires that we are not yet ready for. God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil not because he was punishing them but because the path after that only led to death not life. Same thing happens when you have sex before you're married.. you give yourself away each time and begin dying slowly and painfully. I shared my story regarding all this here.

I can talk about so much that isn't really addressed in church like widows, orphans, drugs, the Holy Spirit (yeah I find that one a little alarming, not that all the other's aren't as well), drinking, going clubbing (personally I just want to hear opinions on that one...), sex trafficking, etc etc. There are very important issues in this world that need to be talked about and have something done about and sticking our heads in the sand doesn't help at all.

Maybe if something bad was happening close to home then people might care. Just because it's not you or someone you know struggling in some small or large area does not mean it doesn't matter. It just means you might need a heart check.

I'm not trying to be a 'debbie downer' but I do find it very upsetting that there is so much that is not being talked about. So all this to say that starting right now I want to hear what you've been wondering about... what questions do you have? What is something that you've always wondered about but never had the courage to ask anything about it? I can't promise you an answer right away, but I will say I will address as many issues as possible. Together we can make a change by God's hand. :) Start asking away!

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I've only just come back on this and started blogging again and this post is absolutly the pure truth! It's the same in my church! No-one will ever talk about it, it's like there all stuck in the olden times but they don't realize that outside the church walls that times have changed. People have changed. Your not alone on your opinion. I'm 100% with you. I'd for one like to know why it's so wrong to "date" or "go out with" (whatever people call it now a days) a non-christian. Yes i understand it may be hard but don't people understand you can help show them that it's the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Very true! Thank you for leaving a comment. :) Yes, the times have changed a lot and the only thing that hasn't is the sweet Lord and somehow the church is not following what He has been telling us forever. Literally. Yet, I do believe God is raising people up like yourself and many others who are going to take Him at His Word and live their lives that way. Welcome back to blog world btw! :) I will definitely pray about what to say when I write about the topic of dating non-Christians and seek other's advice as well. Thanks again and God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an issue, but just wanted to say about 2 hours before I read your post I also read this: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/relationship/features/27286-whats-the-big-deal-about-waiting-for-marriage

    It's so funny how we have so many misconceptions in Christianity of "big sins/the worst sins" like sex. When God created sex as a great thing----in the context of marriage. I could see how even I in my marriage(if called to it) might see it still as a bad thing. Yikes. I love that you are talking about REAL stuff! It's great and very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittni: I read the article you posted the link to and it was so amazing! Such a great read.

    It is "funny" how we rank sins. As if in God's eyes it's anymore or less than simply sin. Period. Thanks for reading my blog! I like yours a lot! God bless you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)