1.28.2012

I'm following Christ... right?

What does the Christian life consist of?
That's a really good question. It's been weighing so heavy on my heart recently that we who are Christians might not know exactly what we have gotten ourselves into. Allow me to explain.

Pastors, evangelists, etc. all tell people about the unexplainable joy you get from following the Lord and living for Him. It's true. I have never been more happy, more joyful, or more satisfied than when I am following my Savior. However, following Christ is hard.

Hear that? It's not all fun and games. It's not happiness and rainbows all the time. Knowing that there is a enemy attacking you every day.. there are a lot of times where I have go to my Daddy in tears because it's too much to take. He can take it though.

I feel like the Church has been trying to make everything "fun". Everything will not be fun. Having fun does not prepare you for life. Having fun all the time will not get God's will done. You can have fun while living for God, but maybe you should ask yourself a question, are you living for God or are you living for fun?

If you want to follow Christ, let me tell you that it will be one of the most rewarding, amazing, incredible, worth while journey's you will ever take. Let also tell you that it will be a life of the most difficult, confusing, and just plain hard times, too. The good does outweigh the bad. Don't get confused, but following Christ needs to be something we take seriously, not lightly.

I wish someone had told me 5 years ago that following God didn't mean saying a prayer and trying to be good after that. I wish someone had told me that it would cost me everything. Not because I've changed my mind about following Him, but because I see so much time wasted. So many opportunities missed. I don't look back though, I press forward.

When we choose to follow Christ we must realize that it means giving over every single aspect of our lives. Every. single. part. Every beautiful mess. Every ugly struggle. Everything.

Following Christ means being compelled to love what He loves and hate what He hates. Loving people, hating sin. Truly being His hands and feet not because we think it will earn our way to Heaven (because it won't) but because we truly delight in doing God's will.

"Help me stay on the path of Your commands, for I take pleasure in it." - Psalm 119:35

This life you're living is for His glory, not yours. I pray that you see that and accept His love and forgiveness and plans for your life. But I also pray that you realize that it's not something we should love in the good times, but hate in the bad times.

“You speak as a foolish woman speaks,” he told her. “Should we accept only good from God and not adversity?” Throughout all this Job did not sin in what he said." - Job 2:10

There will be struggles, more than you can count probably, but the beauty in those struggles is seeing that truly, only by God's hand can we ever truly overcome them. You might think you're winning in this life, but without God, you are failing more than you know.

Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)