1.13.2012

Quality over quantity...

The first time I really thought about the phrase, "Quality over quantity." was when I started working out a few years ago. I was told that if I only did 25 crunches correctly, better that than 100 done the improper way.

You also hear that when people are talking about food. You know, your mom is at the store and you want some cookies that have like 50 in the package and she says, "I'll take quality over quantity.".

When it comes to reading the Bible, quality over quantity.

When I first became a Christian I thought I was supposed to read as much of the Bible as possible. So, I would sit down and read 4 - 5 chapters a day. Nothing wrong with that, except I wasn't really soaking in the Word. Sure, I read through the whole Bible in no time at all, but I really learned nothing.

I've heard some people say things like, "I'm almost done reading the New Testament." I'll ask when they started and they'll tell me like 2 weeks ago. That's a bit too fast. One of the best pieces of advice my pastor has given me is to read the Word slowly. S-L-O-W-L-Y. We don't know too much about that anymore. We want to rush through everything. Make it as fast as possible. When it comes to spending time with God, we shouldn't be rushing through it. We should enjoy His presence. If you're eating a meal and you scarf it down, you're probably not going to enjoy it too much. But when you allow yourself the time to slowly savor every bite, you enjoy it. Our time with the Lord shouldn't be rushed through, it should be slowly enjoyed, every single minute.

My advice to you, don't rush through your time with God and in His Word. Don't think that you have to read 4 chapters of the Bible every day or God is unhappy with you. He's not. He wants us to slowly enjoy His presence and really get something out of our time with Him. That's satisfaction. We are satisfied in Him.

Have a great Friday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)