2.22.2012

I am beautiful because I AM is BEAUTIFUL...

Let's be real, alright? Cool.

Sometimes I feel like I never measure up.

Why? Because of this world. This crazy, stupid, beautiful, makes me sick at times, world.

Specifically, the standards of the world or the lack thereof.

I don't measure up because I'm not skinny or pretty or "perfect" enough. I have curves. I've been told my whole life that I should hate myself for having them because they just "don't hit in the right places" and secretly, for years, I have hated myself because of them.

Girls, you know what I'm talking about. The world tells us that if we don't look a certain way no guy will ever love us and we'll be alone forever. If a guy doesn't like you because of the way you look, he never deserved you in the first place.

I've tried countless diets to make myself look better in terms of what the world says is 'better'. We're made to feel like crap if we don't workout 5-6 times a week because how are you gonna get a six pack and not workout that much? 'You ate a piece of candy?! Oh goodness! You just ruined your life!' That's ridiculous!

Now, truthfully, I workout 6 times a week because my body is not my own, it's God's (1 Corinthians 6:20) and I want everything I do to glorify Him. I want it to be healthy. I mean if you give something to a friend to borrow, you'd want them to take care of it, right? In the same way, God wants us to take care of ourselves. However, I don't obsess over it. I used to. Oh, believe me, if you had asked me 2 or 3 years ago what was the center of my life and I answered you honestly, I would have said my body. I obsessed over what I ate, how many calories I consumed, how many more pounds I had to go before I achieved that "perfect" body. I was trying so hard to attain something I will never be able to attain. Ever.

The world tells you you'll be happy once you've lost 10 more pounds and fit 'just right' into a size 2. Hear me when I say this, the size on your pants tag will never make you happy. No amount of weight loss, no amount of money, no matter how stylish your clothes are or how cute your hair cut is will ever truly make you happy. It lasts for a moment, then it's gone and you're left feeling empty again.

Only Jesus Christ can truly make you happy. Only He can give you lasting happiness and joy. We are made in HIS image (Genesis 1:27).

I'm beginning to like the way I look, even love it. Wanna know why? Because I am realizing that the way I look is a reflection of my Father. That makes my heart smile just thinking about it. Every "flaw", every curve, every mis-placed freckle is a reflection of our Maker. Don't hate yourself. You and I are not defined by our outward appearance. Don't let the world tell you how you should look. You're beautiful because God Almighty made you and He is SO beautiful!

Let me ask you, do you look in the mirror more than you do in God's Word? Flip that! I'm challenging myself and you to spend more time in God's Word this week and less time focused on your outward appearance. Why? Because when we truly understand who we are in the Lord (who we are on the inside), it will radiate on the outside. You'll find your confidence in the Lord and on the days where you're feeling a little bit chunky and your hair is a wreck, you'll still be able to wear a genuine smile because you know God has made you in His image. Start praying Psalm 139. Doing just that one thing has changed my outlook a lot. I pray you see yourself through God's eyes. Love y'all! :)

"I praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful and I know this very well." -Psalm 139:14 HCSV

1 comment:

  1. It's creepy how dedicated you are.

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)