3.31.2012

Take Your Delight...

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

I've read that verse many times. I've thought about it a lot. Funny how after 3 years of using that verse as a life verse of sorts, I've been completely wrong in my thinking towards it.

To me, that verse was always about me. Not Him.

I thought that if I would just serve God enough then that thing I'd been wanting would happen. I had no earthly clue what truly delighting myself in Him looked like. He's slowly pointing me in the right direction now.

Let me ask you a question, what do you find delight in? What is something that no matter how bad your day is, gives you joy? Would you say that God is the One you take delight in no matter what the situation you find yourself in?

My honest answer is no. I've taken delight in so many things, but not really Him. I've taken delight in my appearance (good hair day, nice makeup, cute clothes... you get the picture), music, food, people, material things... and all these things in and of themselves are not bad, but when I'm finding delight and joy and satisfaction in them and not thanking God and praising Him because He made all these things, I'm bowing down to idols and not the Lord.

"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served something created instead of the Creator, who is praised forever. Amen." - Romans 1:25

"They worshiping and served something created instead of the Creator..." how many times have you been there before? I've been there many times unfortunately. I've bowed down to all the things that He made! Seriously, think about this, you're idolizing and worshiping something created (not that big or great) as opposed to worshiping and serving the Lord who made ALL those things (The Great I Am)!! We are so messed up. Thankfully, He sees the good in us that we can't see and values us those we don't value Him. What a faithful God we serve.

I've been asking the Lord to show me the idols in my life. He is doing just that every day. I've seen so many things that I didn't even realize I was placing before Him, so many things that I thought I was thanking Him for, but wasn't.

My prayer for myself and for you is that we will take time to seek the One and Only. To find all our satisfaction and delight in Him because until that happens, we're still not fully seeking the Lord. I read a quote the other day (I have no clue who said it haha!) that said something like this, "If we can't be satisfied and content in God on earth, how are we going to spend an eternity with Him?" That's a really good way of thinking about it. I pray you find delight and satisfaction in our Lord. Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)