5.31.2012

Living the life of a child

"I assure you,” He said, “unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:3

 

"When I was a child,
I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child,
I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man,
I put aside childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11


If you look at each of these verses you notice one thing right off the bat- they both have to do with being a child. Normally, you might not think these two verses go together because one is talking about becoming a child and the other is talking about putting away childish things, but I believe these verses go together wonderfully. You'll see why if you keep reading. ;)

In Matthew 18:3 Jesus said that we not only have to be converted to enter God's kingdom, but we must become like children as well. What does that mean? Does it mean I must become a child as in, painting with my fingers, playing on the playground, and eating all my veggies (which btw I still do all that! haha! ^_^)?? No. The meaning is actually pretty simple we just like making things complicated. Being a child of God means relying solely on Him for everything. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.

When you were a child, you relied on your mom or dad for everything, correct? Most of us did at least. When someone hurt your feelings you came running to your parents. When you needed something done, you went to your 'rents. You get the point. Well, the same is true now. God wants you to rely on Him for every single thing in your life. He wants you to trust Him to provide those needs, too! Did you ever question your parents ability to provide for you? Most of the time the answer is no. Yet we question God's ability to provide for us all the time and He is the only One who can do ALL things. Crazy!

So if being a child of God is relying on God all the time, what did Paul mean when he said that he put away childish things?

What Paul meant is from a standpoint of being mature and immature, he put away the immature things... a.k.a. sin! He put away the foolish things of the world and dove into the things of God because he was relying on his Father now and no longer the world.

Once we understand that we can rely on God fully and start putting that into practice, we have to get away from the things of this world! Seriously, all it does is drag us away from our Father and pulls us further towards doubt and fear. Anytime I'm going through something that is outside of my control, abilities, etc. (pretty much everything! haha!) it's easy to want to go to things that will temporarily keep my mind from those doubts or fears, but the best choice is to go to God's Word, read His promises, and then talk to Him about it. Every single time I'm dealing with fear and I go to God about it, He always reveals something else to me and gives me His peace that is so incredible!

I've resolved to live the life of a child of the King. It's not easy. In fact, it's really hard. It's painful. But each new day I am reminded that I don't go alone and that gives me great joy! Thank God He never leaves us or forsakes us! Are you living the life of a child? If not, you may want to get on that. A life lived for Christ is a life lived in purpose. It's worth it. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)