6.26.2012

The new girl, with the old life

 "Don’t you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be deceived: No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, or anyone practicing homosexuality,10 no thieves, greedy people, drunkards, verbally abusive people, or swindlers will inherit God’s kingdom. 11 And some of you used to be like this. But you were washed, you were sanctified,  you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I'm saved. Would you know it by my lifestyle? Better yet, would you know it by the way my heart looks? The way I speak? act? My very being?

These are some questions I've asked myself the past few weeks. Some of the questions that have kept me up at night.

See, the problem I have with many pastors, evangelists, and leaders messages is that they tell you following Christ is easy (which it's not). They tell you that all you have to do is pray a prayer and after that everything is taken care of. The fact that our very lives must change when we come to know the Savior is a message that many people don't bring anymore. And so my story continues.

--
I just can't believe I did that. Am I really saved if I keep doing the same sin over and over again? Why can't I just stop? Why don't I love God enough?

All of these thoughts have something common... the word 'I' is used a good bit and the heart and focus of all these thoughts were... me.

I've learned something this week. I know, I know, the week just got started but when God is working it only takes a couple days for AMAZING things to happen! As I've told the Lord I don't want to live a lifestyle of sin anymore and that I want to really live out what His Word says, He began telling me some things.

~"If you want to love Me, you must allow Me to love you." <~ Ouch! I didn't realize it until very recently but I've been so prideful acting as if God couldn't possibly love a sinner like me even though His Word already says He loves us regardless. As I'm learning more of who my Beloved is, the more I see His love for me and my love for Him blossoms.

~ "I've already taught you how to live for Me. It's in My Word which you read daily. You don't need to know how to live for Me, you already know how. What you must do now, is obey."

~ "Stop calling yourself by the names you were formerly known by. Ugly, unlovable, stupid... these are no longer who you are. You are Mine. Understand that I call you worthy, holy, beautiful, and beloved and that is your identity now. Seek your value and identity in Me."

^ That last statement above is totally something God touched my heart with yesterday! I was doing 'The Lord's Table' course* yesterday and they talked about not calling yourself fat anymore because now that I'm in Christ and seeking to glorify Him in my eating and drinking, then I am no longer bound by those constraints! There is freedom!

Friend, if you are in Christ, then who you were before Him is no more. Why do you continue to try and keep an old lifestyle with a new you? It's like trying to wear too tight or too loose clothes once you've grown or lost weight. It doesn't fit anymore! Get rid of it!!

Read through the above verse again. You see the names we had in verses 9-10. Those are the names we were called before Christ because that's the way we lived. If you're still living like that and you claim the cross of Christ as freedom then I strongly encourage you to let go of sin once and for all. This won't be something you can do on your own. This is something you must rely on God for. The eternal worth of living radically for Christ is beyond describable. It's worth it. <3

Now, pay close attention to verse 11... santified, justified, washed by Jesus Christ is who we are right now! Holy is one of our new names! Not by our selves, but by Jesus and His gift to us of grace and mercy!

Tell the devil you're done with him and his empty promises. Remember that sin's promises are always empty. Remember that the promises of God are always true! Stay cool, peoples! ;)

*If you want to know more about 'The Lord's Table' course you can go to www.settingcaptivesfree.com and check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!! God is so good:) Love reading...keep posting, it makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)