7.30.2012

Sometimes Crying Is Okay {Monday Reflections}

Following Jesus doesn't mean every day is gonna be happy.

People have this false idea that when you accept Christ everyday of your life will be happy and no problems will arise. That's wrong.

--
Today was a hard day. I sat by myself and cried. I felt sad. I told my emotions to be quiet and yet I think God wanted me to let out my frustrations and be honest with Him.

So I did. I told Him how tired I was, how dry this season feels, how trying to please everyone is stupid and I don't want to do it yet even when I tell myself that I don't want to do it and I just want to please Him, I still find myself trying to please others. I cried some more.


"I called to the Lord in my distress,
and I cried to my God for help.
From His temple He heard my voice,
and my cry to Him reached His ears." - Psalm 18:6


I know He heard me. Did the day get better? Was my heart happier? In little moments, yes. I felt joy, but the sadness was still there as well.

Having Christ inside me doesn't mean that hard days or sad days won't come but that I am strong (in Him) even when the tears are rolling down my face.

You've probably been told before or will be told that you need to tell your emotions to shut up. And I agree with that to a point. Not always. God created us with feelings. Take the feelings away and life isn't as enjoyable. John Piper even says that the pursuit to be happy is one of the main reasons we follow Christ. Because in Him we find more joy than in anything else. Joy isn't mainly feelings but it is a part of it.

Don't suppress your feelings all the time. God doesn't look down on a person who calls out Him in distress. In fact, He hears them. He hears you. He hears me. We are human and because of that we're gonna have bad days. Because He's God, He can help us. We don't go alone and nothing is too hard for those in Christ. Even though this present time might be hard, remember that in Heaven all the tears will be wiped away (Rev. 21:4). Hallelujah!

Sometimes, crying is okay.

Thank You, Abba, for carrying me when it's too hard to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)