7.06.2012

The Comparison Game

I like to play a game. It's called, "the comparison game". What you do is sit down, look around you, and envy every other thing people have that you don't see in yourself. Fun, right?! No? Maybe you're not doing it right... just kidding! You totally are!

I think for both guys and girls we all struggle with comparing ourselves to other people. Christian or not, everyone wants to be like "that girl" or "that guy" and when you find yourself not measuring up to them, you feel like a low-life bum.

This has bothered me so much the past few days and what I'm lead to ask myself is,

 why am I being so selfish?

Seriously, y'all, if you're a Christian then you already know that this life is not about us. When we allow the vain ways of the world of always thinking about ourselves to penetrate our hearts, our lives begin to look more like the world and less like Christ.

I'm a firm believer of John Piper's well known quote, "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied." but where does that satisfaction come from?

This I can help you out on. I've learned the past 2 months that the only way I'm gonna be satisfied is if I seek Christ and allow Him to satisfy me. If you're constantly fighting Him and not allowing Him to really be your Savior and Comforter and Lover, then guess what? He won't be that for you. Not because He dropped the ball, but because you're seeking everywhere else and not paying attention to what's right in front of your face!

The comparison game...

I want her body.

I want his love for God.

I want that haircolor.

I want, I want, I WANT!

do you see what this is doing to us?! No one wants what God has already given them because they're so busy looking at other people. They don't want the things that nowhere near compare with this world's tiny, worthless items. We don't want to believe we are fearfully and wonderfully made because we don't think we're as good as that other person.

The deal is this, you and I were not created for our own glory but rather for Christ's. We are not here to have the best body, the cutest haircut, the nicest car, the biggest home. We are here to be God's servant's. His lover's. We are here to give Him all the glory and trust Him and love Him and choose Him because He first chose us.

Stop playing the comparison game! Have you ever considered that God gave you everything you have so that you could use it effectively for His kingdom? Have you ever considered that maybe it's for your good that you aren't the same as that other person? Maybe, just maybe, you can begin to see yourself from God's point of view. Maybe you'll see that He shows no favortism which means you are no greater nor no less than any other person. He loves us all equally. Not because of who we are or how we look, but because He is God and He is love. I'm done with that game. It's not fun and it's more selfish than selfless. Why occupy my mind with thoughts that center only on me and have me throwing a pity party? Exactly. No need for that when my God's loves me unconditionally. He loves you just the same. Don't doubt, trust. Next time you find yourself comparing yourself, first remind yourself of all God has given you through His Son, Jesus. Then, remind yourself of the people who have it worse than you. Yeah, the fact that there are kids starving all over the world should keep you very humble/content and in prayer for them.
                                                                                 Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)