3.28.2013

Are We Looking For Excuses Instead of Christ?

A couple days ago I felt God telling me to call a certain individual. I knew for a couple weeks before that this was something God wanted me to do, but I was scared.

My faith was small.

So I didn't call. I just prayed.

We must never use prayer as an excuse to inaction.

As my faith has been going through a beautiful transformation, my faith in Christ has grown. I've been set free from so much legalistic crap. (PRAISE THE LORD! Amen?)

Before, I was using works to "earn" salvation (that NEVER, EVER works, btw), but now, because of what Christ has done on the cross, I am free and covered by His blood and grace. Therefore, I find joy in doing works for His glory because I know that they don't earn my salvation, they simply complement it.

I'm telling you about how God has been transforming my faith because it was this transformation that God has used to help me obey Him. As I've become confident in Christ and His work on the cross and my identity in Him, I've become more obedient and bold.

So I picked up the phone and called.

It turned out that my fears were disproved and everything went well. I was able to share love with someone who might have thought he was forgotten or not very loved.

I say all this to ask a question,

Are we looking for excuses instead of Christ?

As we grow in the Lord and as we learn more about our identities in Him and the sheer power we have in Jesus Christ, we should become more bold in following Christ and obeying Him. Not as a means to earn salvation (because we can't), but as Jerry Bridges puts it, we are "so gripped by the magnificence and boundless generosity of God's grace that we respond out of gratitude rather than out of a sense of duty." YES! Perfectly stated.

Take some time today to be quiet and ask yourself if you're seeking Christ or if you're looking for excuses for not obeying Him. Your answer to that question will say a lot about what you believe. If we believe in a big God we will follow Him in big, bold ways. If we believe in a little God, who is distant from everyone, then we will follow Him in very small, very scarce ways.

So I ask, who or what are you looking for?

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:1-2 (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)