4.25.2013

Are You A Follower?

Imagine this.

You've been friends with this person for YEARS. People even call y'all inseparable. You know each other so well you can finish each others sentences.You think you know everything about them.

But one day your friend is walking around town and you stop to say hey and then you get a funny look from them. They smile politely and keep going. You catch up and try to chat but they still keep brushing you off. Finally, you ask what the deal is and their response is:

"I don't know you."

You think it's a joke. Maybe a late April Fool's trick. But no. They're serious.

According to Matthew 7:23 something like this (this is just an example) will happen to many people who say they're Christians. They'll get to Heaven, see Jesus and ask Him why they aren't in Heaven and He'll tell them, "I never knew you."

Even now those words shake me to the core. I know I'm saved by faith alone in and through Christ alone. That's not what gets me. What gets to me is how easy it is to fall away from Him. To be enticed by sin and to completely stray, possibly never coming back to the Father. That's scary.

I read a blog post the other day from a young woman who talked about how God rocked her heart by showing her that she's been doing all the right "Christian things", but she hasn't really been seeking His heart- who He is.

I was instantly convicted. Have I not also gotten caught up in the outward appearance while neglecting to seek Him and who He is? Have I not taken on the role of a Pharisee at some point in my life? Have I not learned to say the right things while believing the wrong ones?

Sorry if this is too real for you. It's what He's doing in my heart right now.

I want to be His true follower. Following His leading wherever, whenever, whatever. Trusting and obeying Him. This is not to earn my salvation (legalism) this is to follow Him because I love Him.

Are you a follower of Christ Jesus? What keeps you from following Him? Will you let it go today?

"From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” - Matthew 4:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)