4.01.2013

Firsthand - Book Review

2 months ago I started going through a season of doubt.

I've never been through one so hardcore as that one. I questioned everything. My prayers were short and filled with a lot of I don't understands, "Help me believe", "I need You", and tears.

I had gotten Firsthand* and was excited to read it, but then I never did. It sat in a stack of books and stayed there. It turned out to be God's blessing that I read it when I did because it was exactly what I needed.

Ryan and Josh spoke on doubt in your faith and how we all will go through seasons of it and that it's okay. They were so honest and open that I instantly felt that I wasn't alone and that this is something people go through all the time.

Ryan and Josh shared many stories of faith, trials, fears, and doubts. They talked about how we can take our faith from secondhand to firsthand, ditching our parents, friends, pastors, or whoever's faith, for our own in Christ.

I think one of my favorite parts of the book was when they talked about ditching your religious checklist. That's something I've personally struggled with for many years. As I worked through this part of the book, God brought me so much freedom and showed me the true meaning of grace.

This is a beautiful book filled with a lot of raw, honest questions and you're taken on a journey of seeking out the answers just as the Shook brothers sought theirs out.

If you're going through a time of doubt I want to remind you that you're not alone and that God is with you. He's strong enough to hold you through your doubts. If you're looking for not just a good read, but something that you can kind of work through, get Firsthand.

This book has instantly become one of my all time favorites. I highly recommend it.

So, are you going to be content in having a secondhand faith that is easily shaken or are you gonna step out of the boat and seek out a firsthand one?

Note: This book was given to me for free for the purpose of reviewing.

*I'll be hosting a giveaway of a couple copies of this book in a few weeks so be looking for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)