5.30.2013

Altared {Book Review}

I almost didn't get Altared by Claire and Eli. I wasn't super into the idea of reading another book about marriage. Most of you that know me well enough to know my stance on singleness- it being a true gift and standing with what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 7. That being said, I'm super glad I got this book!
 
I really, really like books that are written by two authors. Part of the reason why I enjoyed books like Do Hard Things and Firsthand so much. I like getting two people's opinions and perspectives on a topic.
 
Eli and Claire start off by telling you their love story and continuing it throughout the whole book. What I really liked about this book was how they didn't talk about marriage in the way most evangelical Christians do (not to say anything against my brothers and sisters. :) ) They addressed that many people today expect marriage of everybody without even considering whether God wants them to marry or not. They both shared their struggles in this type of thinking and how that played out in their relationship (Fyi, the way the story plays out is not what you'd expect. I'll leave it at that. You'll have to buy the book to find out for yourself.)
 
I also enjoyed how they discussed 1 Corinthians 13; loving God and loving our neighbors, even the ones we wouldn't choose to love, because as disciples of Jesus we don't get to choose who we love, we love everyone because Christ loves us.
 
I would recommend this book to all of you guys and gals. As a young adult, I know how it can be once you turn 18. In the South it's especially prevalent that people expect you to get a boyfriend and get married pretty quick. Claire and Eli do a wonderful job of discussing why that may not be the best thing to rush into.
 
This book is the best of both worlds, there's a story that is told throughout each page and there are very well thought out discussions on what God says regarding love and how that works in every area of our lives.
 
Thinking about marriage? Daydreaming of your future husband or wife? Go find this book and read it. It's well worth your time.
 
Note: I was given this book for free by WaterBrook Multnomah for reviewing purposes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)