6.01.2013

Reclaiming Love - Book Review

You could say that I'm going through a season of learning to love. I mean really and truly love like Christ loved. I'm constantly amazed at how little I really know of what love is and what is looks like. I'm thankful for His grace in being patient with me and showing me what love is. Simple answer? Love looks like the cross. Sacrifice. Grace. Patience. LOVE.

In Reclaiming Love by Ajith Fernando, Ajith says, "Love is going to be our preoccupation for eternity. Our present lives are but a training ground for the opportunity to fully experience and apply love."

That being the case, we need to get it right here on earth through the power of Christ so we are prepared and ready in Heaven.

As I've read through Reclaiming Love, I must admit it's quite a convicting and edifying read. I read it rather quickly (2 days), but I would suggest taking some deeper time to look at what the author talks about and really study 1 Corinthians 13 (as I will be doing in the near future).

Ajith discusses love in action, not just in word. He beautifully illustrates that with stories and scenarios all throughout the book which are quite relatable.

I particularly enjoyed chapters 3-5 which discuss love in patience. In our world we lack patience more than anything. We hate waiting, so it's not really a shocker that people tend to give up on God and each other and love far too quickly. Ajith addresses patience in sin, in weakness, and in encountering justice and brings up many wonderful points in all three and how these all relate and affect the way we love God and others.

This book is one you definitely want on your shelf if you take 1 Corinthians 13 seriously and want some insight on how to put it into action daily. But that is a very important point not to be missed in this book- we aren't to just read it and move on. We must be changed by the power of God and seek His help to love others in action daily. This is quite the process as I'm sure you already know, but thankfully God doesn't leave us to do it alone!

You'll want to read and re-read this book to soak up all the truth. I want people to be able to say at the end of my life, "Though she had a difficult life, she knew that Jesus had been good to her. She had a loving Savior, and this gave her comfort. Her life was most influenced by the love of God, not by the unkindness others had shown her." (pg. 180) Don't you?!

Note: this book was given to me for free by booksneeze.com for reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)