8.22.2013

All In - Book Review

"When are we going to realize that indecision is a decision."

And so Mark Batterson dives into a 170 page book on going "all in" for Christ.

Mark Batterson does an excellent job of stopping and making you think with his easy to read writing style. He takes every day situations and reminds us that with God truly all things are possible.

Each chapter has at least one story of someone who has gone all in for Christ and has been blessed because of their obedience to the Lord. Mark does a wonderful job of driving home how important it is that we live for eternity regardless of the difficulties and challenges it presents here on earth because as he states on page 155-156, "When everything is said and done, our only regret will be whatever we did not give back to God." YES.

As I read this book I was deeply challenged by statements like,  "We focus on what Jesus asked him to give up (talking about the rich young ruler in Matthew 19) but fail to consider what He offered up in exchange." (pg. 27) "You cannot be the hands and feet of Jesus if you're sitting on your butt." (pg. 77) I don't want to be half-way with Christ. I want to be all in.

I've read two Mark Batterson books (well, I skimmed The Circle Maker) and while I agree with most of what he says (sometimes our opinions differ) and I respect him as a brother in Christ, his writing style doesn't speak to me as much as it may someone else. Hence why I gave the book 3 stars. It just wasn't a favorite, but that in no way means it won't be one of yours. God may use it to change your life! Or your perspective... which may change your life.

Included in the back is a list of all 70 resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. I really like that the author included this because it shows yet another example of someone who really went all in for Christ and modeled it in his actions and words.

If you like upbeat, encouraging yet challenging books then I recommend you pick up a copy of All In.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book for the exchange of a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)