9.13.2013

God Distorted - Book Review

I've been reading God Distorted for about 2 months (off and on) and let me just start off by telling you this book is a blessing from the Lord. He has been using it to unveil parts of my heart that have been broken and in need of healing from growing up without a father active in my life. (But God the Father has been active in my life since before I was born. :) )

John Bishop tells the story of himself as a child and what growing up without a father did to his image of God the Heavenly Father. He then goes on to share his testimony of how God has helped him to get through his fears, anxieties, and hurts and how healing has come.

John is a very real and very personal author and I love that about his writing. He doesn't sugarcoat a lot and isn't afraid of stating the truth knowing that it will hurt. He includes a study guide at the back of the book that is full of Scriptures to go with many of the questions and for me I found that quite helpful and encouraging. We need to go to Truth in order to be set free from anything and God's Word is truth.

I'm not going to say that my distorted view of God is completely fixed because I think that would be a lie. I still struggle with understanding God's love for me at times and seeing Him as my caring and loving Father God, but this book definitely has gotten the ball rolling in the right direction and by God's grace I will see Him as He is (probably not ever 100% accurate this side of Heaven but definitely a lot better... it's a growing process).

This book was a dense read for me so I would say don't read through it quickly but rather slowly and let God speak to you and reveal the hurts that need healing to you. For me there were times I had to intentionally put it down and journal or just pray and that's totally okay.

One thing I got out of this book and hope you do as well is to see that God has a purpose in our pain whether it be living without an earthly father present, being abused, or just not having a very good family life. God will use that for your good and His glory. There is purpose in your pain.

*Note: I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for reviewing purposes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. Great job on the review!

    Also, I wanted to let you know about a friend of mine who recently self-published her first book. I am helping her put a blog tour together and am looking for blog sites to host her either with a book spotlight post, book review, and/or an author interview.

    I wondered if you might be interested???

    Here's the info on the book:

    Examine Your Faith!: Finding Truth in a World of Lies Hardcover by Pamela Christian

    Well-meaning people want to believe that all roads lead to the same God and heaven. But wanting something to be true is far different from truth lining up with reality. Unless you make an intentional effort to examine what you believe and why you believe it, it’s quite possible you are living your life on the basis of a lie, and don’t know it.

    Please e-mail me if you're interested. Thanks and have a great week!

    Diane
    www.dianeestrella.com
    dianemestrella at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

What ya' got to say? :)