10.26.2013

Empty me of me

I can be so selfish sometimes.

Exercising for hours to keep myself from being fat while there are babies everywhere starving for food (and love).

Praying for a new _______ fill the blank when there are mothers-to-be crying tears for their child who died before they even got to name them.

Crying tears because I didn't get my way again and there are people everywhere seeking direction for the way (Jesus!).

To recognize these issues in my life is a good thing. To recognize these issues in other people's lives is another good thing. What's not good is pretending that neither exist and neither are important. To pretend these issues don't exist is to say that you don't think you're important or other people. As a child of the King my life matters. As people made in the image of God, so does theirs.

That's the problem with being selfish. We forget that the world doesn't revolve around us and that other people matter too. We forget that God has a plan for each of us and sometimes (most of the time) His plan includes other people working together to find His heartbeat.

At the end day one thing remains true for all people; believers and non-believers alike. We need Jesus Christ. Every moment of every day.

Because just like the babies that are starving need Jesus to send someone to provide them with food, I need Jesus to help me see myself as the fearfully and wonderfully made daughter of God that I am.

I need to be emptied of myself. Emptied of my petty pride. Emptied of the word "mine". What do I have that God hasn't blessed me with? How I live with tightly clenched hands holding to His gifts instead of His hands.

So I open my hands and I open my heart before a God who understands the courage it takes to do both and I pray:

 "Lord, empty me of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)