11.25.2013

Thanks... when it's hard.

I'm not sure if y'all are aware or not, but Thanksgiving is quickly approaching. Quickly.

Everybody is gearing up for turkey or tamales (shout out to all my Hispanic brothers and sisters! :) ), family time, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade (people still watch that. Yes, I am one of those people.), movies, and of course the lovely Christmas season.

I've read and seen SO many posts on thankfulness. So. many.

But can I be honest? (Imma be honest, anyway.) I don't feel very thankful right now.

I know, I know. I should be. I know. I know I'm blessed with so many things and I'm writing them down because Ann Voskamp wrote a nice little book on it and I can't get it out of my head, but dude. I'm still not feeling the thanks. The joy. Am I the only one?

Surely not.

So what do we do when we're not thankful?

Continue giving thanks.

I know it sounds crazy, but it's what we gotta do. Just like when you think you can't take another step and then by the grace of God you do, so we must rest in our Savior even in the seasons where thanks is hard to spit out. I can think of a lot of other things I could do. But how will they benefit my life? Others lives? My relationship with God?

Friend, if this season is hard on you, I feel you. I may not understand exactly what you're going through but our Savior Jesus Christ does. I'm not gonna sit here and say that you're gonna feel any better after you give the thanks to God Almighty for your shoes, shirt, working body, life... but I will say that I know He will intervene and eventually work the emotional stuff out. We need to trust Him more. Lord, help us trust You more.

Life is tough. God knows. Lay it down. Give Him the thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)