2.04.2014

Why I can't help you...

Why do we think that we can't run along someone who is struggling with the same thing that we are still struggling with?

Yes. I just asked that. Because for the past week I've been wanting to write this post and haven't. I asked that question because I think it reveals something about my heart and maybe yours- we think we don't need saving because we are the savior. That's not to be blasphemous or anything of the sort.

I'm saying that sometimes I see somebody struggling with the same thing I am and because I'm either afraid to tell them that I'm having the same problem and break that, "I-can-handle-anything, I've-got-it-all-together" look, or because I don't think there's anything I can do, I remain silent and sit on it for weeks, months, years, until later on I wish I had told them they weren't alone. Those three words: you aren't alone, can be the greatest comfort in times of struggle.

Back to my question. Do you think that we can help others who are struggling with something we still struggle with? That depends. Do you think that you can save them? When we believe ourselves to be the Savior (and we aren't.) then we believe we can save and therefore, friends, we cannot help them at all. But when we come alongside them and tell them, "Hey, you're not alone. I struggle with this, but let's pray about it together and go to God's Word and seek His face and see how He works." then not only are we helping them, we are also helping ourselves.

Kelly Needham is an excellent writer (definitely one of my faves and someone should notify her to write a book for real. ; ) ) and wrote this little gem earlier that I think fits well with this post. Go check it out.

I can't save anybody and neither can you. I don't have it all together. In fact, I am a huge mess every day pretty much and sometimes I cry just because I can, but I have a Savior who says, "Come to Me." He says come. No strings attached, just come. I'm still learning what it looks like to walk out this life for His glory and I fail so many times, but thank God, He gave us His Son and we can come to Him and find rest and life. We can run to Him together and watch Him work out our struggles for our good and His glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)