8.02.2015

Clothe

I like fashion. A lot. I like the thrill of buying a new outfit and the anticipation of wearing it. I enjoy a great skinny jean paired with a flowy top that makes the two pieces look just right. To me, there is nothing wrong with that... to a point.
As I was reading my devotional this morning this particular verse stood out to me.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. - Colossians 3:12 

Clothe.

Clothing.

Familiar to me and yet as easy as it is for to get dressed in the morning, it is quite hard for me to find these five characteristics to put on each day. Oh, get dressed? Yes, I can do that. Be nice? Be compassionate? Be humble? Hmmm... me? No, not so much.

For me personally, humility is key to all of the Christ-likeness I desire. I sometimes choose to clothe myself with greed and envy or pride rather than choosing the beautiful things that would reflect the heart of my Savior to a world that does not know Him.

Lets be real. I still need to know Him. EVERY SINGLE DAY. That is part of the reason why sin is so harsh in my life at times. Because I still do not treasure as I should. But that is another topic for another day.

Humility is hard. I have flesh. I like to be right. I like to look smart. I like to be a smart-alec. I like to be the center of the show. I want all eyes on me. Am I the only one? I hope not. But even so, that doesn't change my sinfulness.

Why should I clothe myself with these 5 things? And better yet, how on earth am I going to do that?

Well, first things first, I need to be clothed in these five things because as child of  God, He tells me this is how I need to be. Notice I said the word be and not act. If we focus merely on the outward appearance we will see results, yes, but only for a short while and then afterwards we will be left with the remnants of the ever famous attempt-but-fail Christian walk. No, I need my heart to be like this. Holy. Pure. This side of Heaven it may look dark, but each day He renews and redeems us to look more like Him.

Second, to be able to do anything or all things, we must look to Christ who is our strength. I am not naturally good at any of the attributes listed above. In fact, I think I am best at the exact opposite of each of those words... I am quite good at pride, apathy, meanness, and I am NOT good with patience at all.

So while reading this verse this morning I was humbled and encouraged and challenged. Not only will I clothe myself in that nice dress that I bought for less than $10, but looks better than $10 this morning (am I bragging? ;) ), but I will also be praying for God to clothe me in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. I want to be more like Him and look more like Him.

Oh how thankful I am for those moments where my heart is as it should be! Thank you, Highest Father!!!

What will you ask the Father to clothe you with today or this week? Let us pray over each other together for our hearts to become more like His. Yeah?


No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)