10.29.2015

Words of affirmation

People want to be thought highly of, loved, affirmed.
In fact, I have spent much of my life seeking those things - love, acceptance, affirmation.

To be told you're smart, you're beautiful/handsome, you're important, you're amazing does wonders for your soul and spirit.

Tonight I was told I'm very smart. I say that not to brag about myself in any way (because seriously, y'all, I would never call myself "very smart".), but to expand a little on the point I've made.

Do you know what it did for my spirit? To be told something that maybe I don't see too much. My spirit soared a little. My confidence went up some. My attitude changed a little. I found a smile creeping upon my face.

And so I think of others. I think of whether they know they are loved, accepted, chosen, smart, important. Did God make stupid people? My short answer is no, He didn't. He made chosen people. He made smart people. He made us. And we are the ones who choose whether or not to use the smarts He has given us. We are the ones who choose whether to walk in the title of "chosen" or not. To choose not to live a chosen life does not make us any less chosen, it just makes us lost.

And that is what we were before Christ: lost.

So I have some encouragement for you tonight:

You are beautiful.
You are smart.
You are chosen.
You are worthy.
You are loved.
You are accepted.
You are His.

Whether you choose to walk in these names is your choice, but it doesn't make them any less true. Just because you think you're bad at school or your face has too many zits or you made a huge mistake, doesn't make you stupid, ugly or unaccepted. You can do better in school through Christ. Your zits will eventually go away or soften a little. And you can right your wrongs through the Lord.

Jesus loves you. You're amazing because God hasn't made anybody who isn't gifted, and that is what you are. Smile a little. Walk in His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What ya' got to say? :)